Sunday 3 January 2016

Granny Square Scarf

Crochet is very in vogue at the moment, luckily for me. Plus the good old granny square so popular in the 1970s (see my Paul McCartney waistcoat post) is definitely making a comeback, and has recently been seen on a few catwalks....



For a long time now I've been hankering after a granny square scarf, so decided to go ahead and make one. One day I was doing a shop with my Tesco 'Orla Kiely' bag and noticed the colours on it went really well with my brown coat..... Hmmm. I've seen various people using objects as inspiration for their colour choices- I'd never done it before, but it seemed like a great idea, especially as I own virtually every colour under the sun in good old Stylecraft Special DK. After looking at loads of examples of scarves other people had made, I decided I preferred the look of the ones where the squares were all the same, rather than the colours placed randomly throughout the scarf. I decided on brown for the main colour, with blue, orange and green for the squares, and a light beige as the light accent going around them after joining. They're not colours which I'd normally put together, but I was quite pleased with the result!

Here's the finished article (along with said bag!!)...








Simplicity itself to make! If you'd like to make your own scarf, here's what I did.

1. Choose yarn in the colours of your choice. As mentioned, I used Stylecraft Special DK in walnut, aspen, spice, meadow and parchment, with a 4mm hook.

2. Make 18 squares. You can use a traditional granny square pattern (widely available everywhere), but I decided to use the Summer Garden pattern from Attic24, just to be a bit different. I did 3 rounds as instructed in the 3 colours, then added an extra round in walnut- my joining colour, making sure I did 3ch in each corner of the last round to make them more square.

3. Join squares using the raised SC joining method.

4. Work around entire scarf in sc with the light accent colour. Work 1 sc in each dc and in each ch space, and 3sc in the corners at either end, and where each square joins the next, work as follows: 1 sc in chain space of right-hand square, 1 sc dec using the ch spaces from both squares, 1 sc in chain space of left-hand square.

5. Work around entire scarf in hdc in the main colour, with 3 hdcs in each corner.

6. Add fringe if desired. I made 8 tassels for each end used 5 doubled-over strands for each one. I used the same method that I used for my Doctor Who scarf. 

Don't forget to let me know if you make a granny scarf- I'd love to see what you make!


No comments:

Post a Comment